Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Youtube radicalization

 

Youtube rabbit holes can harm or help. In my case? Helped. I learned more about the world from the internet during this trying last two years than my lifetime. Mostly, left youtube versus right youtube. Sure I wanted to watch gospel things like Don't Miss This and those Mormon commercials about someone's story and how God loves them.


Who did it start with? It was commentary youtubers who used proper pronouns for famous transmen and women. It was watching Contrapoints and hearing her talk about her experiences as a transwoman. Jamie Dodger and his experiences. Him and his girlfriend are lovely.


I loved Lindsay Ellis scholarly pop culture studies. I loved the articulate, smart, and snarky woman, I looked up to her. She was very liberal. Why does education push us from God? Why when I apply the same critical thinking skill I applied to learn Santa wasn't real, I also think God is a fabrication to get us to “behave”.

At some point I considered my own youtube channel to help people like me feel comfortable. I wanted to create a space for Mormons


That's it. People being respectful made me think, “trans people exist, they are hurt, and they need respect. The kind that involves treating people how they ask to be treated.”


I'll use an example. Let's say you've known Bri her whole life but suddenly she says “I want to be called my full name Briana, everyone outside of this group calls me my full name” you wouldn't scoff and say “HA! Never gonna do that.” You would mess up sure, but you would keep trying. You love Briana and you want her to feel like she can trust you to respect and listen to her.


The End. Trans people deserve respect, not scorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment